It has been two weeks since I got my Iphone. By and large this has been a very positive experience with some frustrating elements. The good news is that most of the issues can be fixed by software so I guess it is just a matter of time before Apple improves on everything. By and large the best gadget I have seen in a long time, probably the best ever. It reminds me of when I saw Macpaint on a Mac Plus in 1985.
I have been using so many phones over the pat few years that I was about to give hope on anyone doing something great. Recently I moved to Blackberry and it was a pleasant surprise and I became a crack-berry addict almost instantly. Was the Iphone up to the BB ?
- UI is BEAUTIFUL. I have never seen and touched anything like that before. This is truly a big step forward in UI vs other phones. In comparison, all other phone UI look like DOS interface
- The phone is VERY easy to use, much much easier than any other phone on the market (see this if you don't believe me)
- The design is great, feels sturdy
- Could not scratch the screen so far, despite mixing the phone with my keys all the time (and what's the point of hiding the phone in an ugly protection sleeve, feels like putting plastic on my sofa)
- Ipod feature is great. Can't wait to see the next gen Ipod with 80 GB flash memory ;-)
- Browsing on Safari is the best web experience you will get on any phone, by an order of magnitude
- Camera is descent to good, better than what I expected
- Sync with my mac works like a charm
- Emails sucks. NO PUSH email. Apple what were you thinking ? Is it truly that hard to implement this killer feature ? Still stuck with the BB for now.
- No way to search for contacts. I have 3,000+ contacts so browsing through them is very time consuming and a big step backwards in compare to what you get on Blackberry
- Keyboard is so so. No matter what people tell you, you will do typos and the built-in dictionary is not always accurate. I wonder why you cannot always use it in landscape mode (only in Safari), the accuracy is so much better.
- Lack of third party apps. Sure you can always open Safari, go to bookmarks, go to a web site but lack of apps installed directly on the phone sucks
- Lack of IM app (ichat with jabber would be great so that I could talk to my Gtalk contacts)
- Regular headset (like my life changing Bose comfort noise reduction) do not work. WTF ?
- No sync with Bluetooth
- Battery seems to be good but can be short if you demo all the features to people around you (this is what happens when you have an Iphone outside the US)
- Lack of GPS but is this really useful ? Especially in cities with big building where it may take up to 5 minutes to find the GPS signal
- Lack of 3G. Not a problem for emails, but 3G support would be welcome in the future to speed up web browsing